In this day and age, the majority of Canadians spend much of their time inside the comfort of their homes. Many of us, however, do not know the quality of the air we are breathing.
The air in our homes can harbour very hazardous passengers; mold spores, bacteria, viruses, allergenic plant fragments, and even asbestos fibres. All these impurities can affect the health of the occupants living inside.
Sick building syndrome
Sick Building Syndrome is a real condition and occurs more often than people think. It can affect your health with a variety of symptoms; from irritation of the eyes, throat, nose, and skin, to more serious ones such as hypersensitivity, loss of senses, serious neurotoxic health problems, and more.
Our tests involve sampling the air to check for mold spores and will let you know the type and quantity of mold found in the space. Keep in mind that virtually every building will have some mold albeit in small quantities; our tests will determine if the quantities are higher than they should be and if any seriously harmful molds exist. We also perform bulk sampling which is sampling matter that is believed to be mold.
Although asbestos is no longer used in Canadian home building materials, at one point it was and can still be found in these older buildings. Asbestos can be found in many building materials such as flooring adhesives and materials, drywall mud compound, paint, ceiling stipple, stucco, HVAC duct wrap, and more! Our inspectors can test bulk materials (the compounds mentioned previously) as well as testing the air for asbestos fibres. While asbestosis, chronic lung disease caused by inhaling asbestos fibres, doesn’t typically appear for many years after exposure; there are no remedies for it. Give us a call to test building materials before any major renovations to determine the presence of asbestos.